Handknit Golf Club Covers
Updated to include stripes for the #5 and #7 clubs!
When asked if I could make some knitted golf club covers for someone, I immediately jumped at the chance. I had knit some years ago for my Dad (in USMC colors) and I was glad to have the chance to knit them again. It’s not often you find a knitting project that a guy will really like and use!
I dug up my old pattern but this time, I modified it using stripes to designate the number of the wood, in the desired school colors (UMHB) for the golfer / ex-football alumni. The pattern consists of ribbing for the shaft, an increase row and stockinette stitch for the body (with stripes along the way), then a row to decrease at the end and gather the stitches with a needle to close. Of course the fun part is making pompoms!
Here is my knitted pattern for golf club covers.
I made three, one for each golf club – numbers 1, 3, and 4.
- Size US 8 double pointed needles
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease (I chose Eggplant and Sienna). 2 skeins in the main color and 1 skein in the second color. You will have a lot of the second color left over.
- Large pompon maker. I made one out of cardboard by tracing a large jar cover. See DROPS technique tutorial video here.
Gauge: 16 sts x 24 rows = 4″ x 4″ square
- Cast on and evenly divide 36 sts on 3 needles (12 sts per needle).
- Proceed in a k2 p2 ribbing for about 9 or 10 inches.
- On the last rib row you will increase by 9. I did this by making a stitch on the 2nd knit stitch of the rib pattern. So: K, K+1, P, P, K, K+1, P,P all the way around = 45 sts.
- Continue in stockinette stitch through row 35. (Knit every row when you use double pointed needles). Follow the pattern below to add stripes:
Add stripes along the way:
For the #1 club (1 stripe of 2nd color)
Knit 2 rows in second color for 1 stripe on rows 18 & 19
For the #3 club (3 stripes)
Knit 2 rows in second color for 3 stripes on rows 12 & 13, 18 & 19, 24 & 25
For the #4 club (4 stripes)
Knit 2 rows in second color for 4 stripes on rows 6 & 7, 12 & 13, 18 & 19, 24 & 25
OPTIONAL #5 & #7 clubs:For the #5 Club (5 stripes)
Knit 2 rows in second color for 5 stripes on rows 10 & 11, 14 & 15, 18 & 19, 22 & 23, 26 & 27
For the #7 Club (7 stripes)
Knit 2 rows in second color for 7 stripes on rows 10 & 11, 13 & 14, 16 & 17, 19 & 20, 22 & 23, 25 & 26, 28 & 29
- Row 36: K2 tog and repeat around = 23 sts
- Cut a long strand of yarn thread the needle and pull through all stitches. Weave in ends.
- Make a large pompon and attach it to the top of the golf club cover with careful stitching.
I used both colors in my pompons but you could choose to just use the second color. The instructions for making these can be found online. There are quite a few videos that show how to make pompons using your own cut out pieces of cardboard, which is what I did following this video: DROPS Pompom Technique