I happen to be the mother and wife of two people who for whatever reason don’t like SAUCE. So rather than make a tomato based lasagna or other pasta dish I make this. It reminds me of the “Auflauf” dishes I used to make in Germany. Basically you find whatever you have in the kitchen, add cheese, milk or cream and eggs and voila. It’s really good. Tonight I used penne noodles, Italian cheese and some leftover beef sausage.
- 1 lb box of mini Penne pasta, or whatever type of pasta you prefer.
- 1/2 stick of butter (4 Tbls)
- Part of a package of beef sausage (already cooked), cut into bite size pieces (or whatever type of cooked meat you already have on hand)
- 1 8-0z bag of Italian cheese mix. (I used one with Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano, Parmesan, Fontina and Asiago.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 c half and half (or cream)
- Additional seasoning if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a casserole dish.
- Prepare the penne pasta according to the box directions. After it is done, drain and return to the pot with half a stick of butter. Stir until butter is melted. Add the sausage and 3/4 of the bag of Italian cheese and stir with a wooden spoon. Toss evenly.
- Pour into the greased casserole dish.
- Beat the two eggs and cream together in a small bowl. Pour evenly over the casserole mixture.
- Cover the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Serve with a nice fresh salad or other vegetable.