For the sweet gooey upside down part:
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple slices – reserve 3/4 c. of the juice!
- 1/4 (that’s half a stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup backed dark brown sugar
- 7 maraschino cherries
For the cake part:
1 package of yellow cake mix and everything to prepare it. For me that means:
- Pillsbury Moist Supreme, Class Yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 c. vegetable oil
- 3/4 c. juice from pineapple can
- 1/4 c. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet with a heat-proof handle. Stir in brown sugar until it’s all blended. Remove from heat.
- Arrange pineapple slices (7 for me) in sugar mixture. Place a cherry in the center of each slice.
- Prepare the cake mix according to directions, replacing some of the water with the reserved 3/4 cup pineapple juice needed to prepare the batter. Pour batter evenly over the pineapple slices in the skillet.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert onto a service platter.